Addiction is tricky because it can occur with anything. You can become addicted to alcohol, drugs, social media, video games, pornography, sugar, and anything else that makes you feel good. So how can you tell when alcohol consumption, for example, is a problem? When does feeling good cross over into addiction? The Addiction Specialists at Fitcy Health are here to help you navigate the tricky world of addiction and break your chains to external substances. Remember, they don’t control your happiness- you do.
How Does Addiction Work?
What Are the Symptoms of Addiction?
- Cravings for the drug/alcohol/activity continue throughout day
- Unsustainable or reckless spending patterns; financial strains
- Addiction withdrawal symptoms- headache, anxiety, inability to sleep or oversleeping, muscle aches
- Changes in social patterns or groups
- Lying or being secretive
- Unable to feel happy or safe without a drug or alcohol high
- Mood changes
- Physical health problems such as cancer, heart disease, or skin disease
Can Addiction Be Treated? What Are the Steps to Overcoming Addiction?
- Address the root need or desire behind using drugs.
- Identify and building a support system.
- Connect to your passions, goals, and reasons for quitting drugs.
- Find healthy coping mechanisms or alternative behavior to drug use.
- Work through any co-morbid anxiety, depression, anger, trauma, or other mental health concerns that might come with substance abuse.
- Create a future plan that excites and motivates you.
- Damage to major organs
- Damage to impulse control, future planning, and other thought processes
- Greater chances for relapses (returning to the addiction)
- Other mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and trauma.
- Strained and broken relationships